Monday, September 26, 2016

FieldPost1

After visiting Noble Elementary, I changed my original perspective on what grade I use to want to teach. Originally, I did not care for a specific grade, whether it be kindergarten, third grade, or anything in between. At Noble Elementary I observed two classes; a fourth grade class and a kindergarten class. The fourth grades were learning about similarities and differences, along with tying in the aspect of respect. This appealed greatly to me because I want to be a teacher that influences kids to be good citizens. In the kindergarten class, the kids took a pre-test on simple math. After their pre-test they gathered in the front of the classroom to sing songs and dance. The kids were adorable, but I learned that I want to be teaching about more influential topics. There is only so much you can teach kindergarteners because they are still learning to read and write. The fourth graders have these basic skills, so it is easier to add in and apply more lessons about life. Being able to teach about crucial morals by tying in it with an educational lesson is something that appeals greatly to me.

Along with discovering a new perspective on the grade I want to teach, I also learned more about the type of teacher I want to be. By observing the fourth grade teacher, he focused greatly on group collaboration and participation. These are aspects that I want to include when I become a teacher one day. Being able to communicate effectively with others, and being able to share your knowledge to others are both crucial aspects that can help through-out life. These are two lessons I want to focus on when I am a teacher. I also learned that I have a tendency to make assumptions and label kids. When observing the fourth grade class, I noticed a boy who was very hyper and disruptive. I began to think that he possibly had an attention disorder or just liked to be the center of attention. Making assumptions and labeling a kid is something I need to internally work on through-out time. Overall, observing Noble Elementary taught me about the teacher I want to be one day, and the matters I need to work on to become a great teacher.




No comments:

Post a Comment